Thursday, August 12, 2010

September 30th, 1907

Here is another letter from Matthew to just Annie. Times were tough, as I'm sure many of us can relate to, and he was asking to borrow money from her again. He actually asks Annie to ask Ethel, and I'm afraid I don't know who Ethel is. I'm thinking perhaps this is another one of Amy's relatives, but I could be wrong. It seems as though our family was very close and numerous. It sometimes gives me a hobbits-of-the-shire vibe. Although, there was an Ethel who was married to a cousin of Matthew's (also named Matthew) in Ireland, but again, I'm not sure. If anyone has any information, feel free to leave it in the comments section.
If you'd like to read the letter on you own, here's how you do it: the first page is first, obviously. This letter is written on greeting card-style stationary. On the open page, read the right side first, then the left. Finally, the last page is last. It may sound obvious, but it took me a while to figure it out and I kept thinking Matthew was feeling very stressed when he wrote this. His letter does evoke a sense of humility and he doesn't want to ask for the money.



Sept 30th 1907
236 Litherland Rd
Bootle

Dear Annie
You will think it strange me writing again so soon but it is a necessity, and I thought that you could help me out of the difficulty, as I don't like to ask off anyone else. I have had to refuse about three weeks today all because my Lathe was too small to do it on and I expect there was more to follow that order and I don't want my partner to think that I am short of cash we really want a bigger Lathe and also get the Telephone in as it means a lot to have the phone in a place.
So I thought you might ask Ethel to lend me 30 pounds* and I would give her more on it than she would get in the bank as the rate we are losing work now for wont of the necessary tools we would soon make them pay (for) themselves.
So I hope you will be able to persuade her to let me have the loan as my partner can get as much as he wants as his father is fairly well off, and in a good business as well and if he had to supply the money to get these tools they would be looking down on me as not being equal to them.
Hoping you will be successful
I remain your ever loving brother
M. Nelson
P.S
The Kiddies and Amy are all well
Keep this as private as you can

So, obviously I'm taking some liberties revealing this letter that he wished remained private. It reveals a lot about Matthew's insecurities at the time, but times were hard for everyone.
*£30 then would be somewhere between  £642 - £770, or $1000 - $1200 U.S. dollars, today.

Tom's inflation calculator
Universal currency converter
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment