Friday, August 20, 2010

January 19th, 1910

This is Amy's letter from mysterious Green Lane. Is it in Pennsylvania? Is in Canada? Is it in Narnia? I think it's probably the first choice, but I don't know. What I do know is Amy's handwriting is not as easy to read as Matthew's. Part of it is that she wrote this letter in pencil and this was the best quality I could make it.
I'm pretty sure that the family is no longer in England. Amy is writing to her sister, Annie, after voting season and mentions that Matthew didn't get to vote. That's right, it would be another eight years before Annie could have voted, and it would be a year after that before Amy would be able to.
I'm adding extra punctuation to the transcription where it needs to be so it's easier to read. I know I didn't really do that for Matthew's letters, but I think it's necessary for this one, at least. If it bothers you, just read the actual letter. Keep in mind that this is on the same stationary as Matthew's first letters, so read the first page, the read the right side of the second page, followed by the left.



Jan 19th 1910

11 Ellison St
Green Lane

(Who did you vote for? Mat did not get a vote. Hope conservatives get in.)

Dear Annie,

Just a line hoping you are keeping well and have plenty of visitors in. I expect you will think I am a long time writing, but to tell you the truth I have not had money to spare for a stamp. I have hardly had any for a month. Matt did not get a penny in for a fortnight. I don't know what I should have done if Matt's mother had not have sent us any. She sent us 3a/- at New Year and it had to last me and Matt's pocket a fortnight. But we are a lot better off this week but don't be down-hearted. I think we will be getting on better now. He has got another partner and he seems very nice. We were at his house on Sunday night at Waterloo. They live in a big house-- stands in its own grounds-- he is the manager. Matt used to be under when he was working in the crane works in Glasgow.
Dear Annie, I had a letter from Matt's mother. She says she had a card from you. She will be writing to you as soon as she is able to send you something. So don't refuse what she sends. She liked you very much.
Dear Annie, I have been cleaning for Aunt this last two Fridays from 1/2 past 6 (am?) till 11 at night. After (the) children had gone to bed she gives me a 1/-. She does not part with much. Louie is not well again. Her rupture is bothering her again. She does look bad. I would send you a ... what Matt's sending round in next letter so with love to all, I remain your loving sister Amy
Childrens' heads are getting on nicely, you had to cut all their hair off.
XXXXXXX Write soon Amy XX

This letter gives us quite a bit of information. First, any amount of money with "/-" after it can't be very much. My guess is that's Amy's way of writing the cent sign.
Next, we learn that Matthew has a new partner who lives in Waterloo. Which Waterloo, I don't know. In fact, I don't even know if there's more than one Waterloo, in the same way I don't know if there's more than one Green Lane. Expect this portion to be edited in the near future. Hooray for the internet! (EDIT: There are Waterloos in Iowa, New York, Ontario, Illinois and Wisconsin. I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the Waterloo mentioned in the letter is not in Iowa. New York or Ontario seem the most likely to me at the moment.)
Also, Aunt Louise had a rupture somewhere on her person. Gross! How terrible that must have been. And either it was a goof, or Amy likes to call her sister "Louie".
Finally, I think it's very possible the Nelson family came to the U.S. through Ellis Island. The remark about having to cut off all of the childrens' hair is what makes me suspect this. Ellis Island had strict sanitation and immunization procedures when it was open and I believe cutting hair off was one of them. It would also explain why they might have gone to Pennsylvania before Michigan (I hope. Again, expect an edit). My dad always told me that they arrived in Canada first to visit family, then made their way into Michigan. That is still possible if Canada had strict entry procedures as well. (EDIT: Apparently, you went to Ellis Island through Canada, as well. The site below has records of people who passed through Ellis Island, but it doesn't look like they have records on my family. Any information would be appreciated.)
The Statue of Liberty - Ellis Island Foundation

And just for fun, here's 11 Main Street in Green Lane, PA. I got the idea to type in Main Street after my dad said the name of the street Matthew's shop in Marshall was on was changed to "Main Street". Go to street view and there's a house that looks like it could have been standing in 1910. And look, right across the street is an auto shop!
11 Main Street, Green Lane, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment