Sunday, April 8, 2012

Disneyland 1958

I got a newer, more powerful computer. One of the benefits is I can access my blogs without downloading Google Chrome (for the time being. I'm sure I'll have to do that eventually).
If you've read my other blog, you also know that my dad passed away in the fall. We're just now starting to go through older boxes in the house, like the one we did when he was alive where we found the letters from my great grandparents. I discovered a box of slides labelled "1958". When I held one up to the light, I saw my dad as a little boy and my grandma standing in front of Monstro in Fantasyland.
My grandma, Wilma, is the lovely child gracing the banner of this blog. She was the 12th(?) child of Matthew and Amy Nelson. She married Max Kimmel around the start of WWII for the U.S.
I don't really know much about my grandpa's side of the family. There are a lot of maybes. Maybe we're Hessian. Maybe we're Estonian. Maybe we're Jewish. Maybe we're decended from hired mercenaries for the British around the time of the revolutionary war. All stories, no proof. I know even less about my mom's family.
I think I'm only now starting to become aware of my grief, if that makes sense. But I'm proud to share these photos of one of my favorite places with three of my family members who I love and miss everyday. Even though my grandpa doesn't actually appear in any of these pictures, I know he's behind the camera. I've got pictures of him that I'll post later. He was pretty funny.




I love this pic grandpa took of the band.


It may be a little hard to tell, but my dad it feeding ducks!


Kudos to you if you know why my dad's happy to be standing next to this man, mousketeers!
 


It's a twelve year old boy who has cars in his blood's dream come true!
 

That mound of dirt will one day become the Matterhorn. And the dirt behind it is probably the rest of Tomorrowland that will reopen in the 60s.



I know grandma and dad were happy to be there, but I bet they relly wished they had sunglasses.


Check out that lady to the left's cloak!


My dad looks like Moochie (kudos again if you know who I'm referencing)!




The cabin's on fire!!!


I believe this shiney horse is from the Mine Train through Nature's Wonderland.
Cat!



Bear!


This one is from Knott's Berry Farm. I know there are more pictures from there. It's just a matter of finding them.
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment