Friday, September 3, 2010

November 10th, 1912

This is the only letter I have from Louise, another sister of Amy. I don't know how many sisters Amy had, but it sounds like three, possibly: Annie, Ethel and Louise. From the tone of this letter, I would guess that Louise is the oldest sister, or at least older than Annie. From what I understand, this is not the "Aunt Louise" that Dick Martin spoke of on Laugh-In.
I love the way Louise writes in her letters!





17. Hicks Road
Seaforth
Nov. 10 - 1912
Sunday

My Dearest Annie

I would have written you last night, but it would have been too late for this to be delivered this morning. I think you need not worry about the tickets, & George thinks you will be able to make an arrangement with the agent in Grange as to when you can be ready to sail. So do not hurry your sale too quickly as your lovely furniture will have no chance of fetching a fair price for you. George will try & come for a couple of days & help, if he can possibly manage it, & you will let him know when it is to be as soon as you can. He has a few days due to him yet of his summer holidays. The travelling skips George hunted L.pool for yesterday but could get none second-hand. The new ones are 30X20X30 16/6, 33X21X21 18/16. Of course they are well worth the money being so strong. Just what the steam Laundries and Large Dryers use. But it is a lot of money when one has it not. Do not get anything yourself because George will certainly get secondhand ones if there are any to be had in or about Lpool. He is a regular ferret.
Yes dear, I should much like the baby things and any old pieces you find you cannot pack up. About the pans. The carriage would not be much by goods train (carr. form) & really I have a very small supply. Have broken two lately by dropping. They have lasted you & I daresay would be in as good condition as any I might pick up at a sale here. They are such a price now. Your bedlinen & blankets etc you will need to take with you, but if you find any too many or too thin to pack for so long a journey, just make a parcel of them & George can bring them & I will give you whatever you think you would get there for them. 
Yes, Aunt Lizzie has Amy's watch still I believe. If you reflect, Amy pawned it & Aunt L gave her the money & interest (£1-0-0) to redeem it, & told her she could have it back any time she had the money to pay for it. I have not seen Aunt Lizzie since about June. No, I think it was May. So I do not see much of her. She generally comes when I least expect it. I will drop her a p.e (?) & let her know you are going away.
Lots of love dear & do not overtax yourself.
Your loving sister 
Louise.     
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment