Wednesday, August 11, 2010

July 16th, 1907


The following is a letter written from Matthew to Annie and Jack. I'm guessing that Annie is Amy's sister, but I don't know for certain. Matthew had a sister named Annie, but she was born in 1899. So it wouldn't be her, because even though this letter is over 100 years old, girls didn't get married in the western world at age 8, anymore.
Matthew and his family were probably in Liverpool, I think. The two children that he and Amy have at this point were both born in Scotland, however their third child is listed in the Nelson Genealogy as being born in England in 1908 (Annie or "Nancy"). So they're either in Scotland or Liverpool by this point. But he says to give everyone his "reguards to all at Grange", and he also says the kids are doing better "now". Both sound like a big move has happened.
Matthew is struggling and has to resort to borrowing money from family members. But he is putting the money to good use. He strikes me as a very optimistic and sincere man. He was 28 when he wrote this.
If you can't read the letter, here is what it says (also, I added some punctuation):

July 16th, 1907
236 Litherland Rd
Bootle

Dear Annie & Jack
I am in receipt of your letter and order and thank you very much for the loan. I hope to be able to repay you before very long of course. My new venture won't be very much for some time but I hope for better times in the near future. Hope you are all going on nicely and hope Harry is still improving. Give our reguards to all at Grange and accept the same for yourselves.
Believe me your loving Brother, M. Nelson
P.S the Kiddies are going on all right now.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment