Tuesday, August 17, 2010

April 6th, 1909

Here is Matthew's fancy new business stationary! So it's about six months after his last letter and it looks like he's finally paying Annie back. Times are tough, still, but Matthew is ever the optimist.
I just noticed this, but right there in the "To" box, Annie is listed as Mrs. John Wilson. So I guess that clears that up. If you're curious where "Aunt Louise" fits into all of this, she marries Annie's son, Harry. Now that I think about it, the Louise that Harry marries is most definitely not the Louise I have a letter from. The letter I have from that Louise was written in 1912, I think, and little boys didn't get married in the western world by then, either.



April 6th, 1909
To: Mrs. John Wilson
Briardale
Grange Over Sands

From:
The Pembroke Engineering and Motor Co.
Mechanical and Electrical Engineers
12 and 12a, Hart Street, Liverpool
Partners: M. Nelson
                F.J. Edwards

Dear Annie,

Sorry I could not let you have the money yesterday but you have no idea how hard it is to get money in at present. The people seem to be hanging on to it very tight and to make matters worse the cheque I was expecting on Monday was not made payable till the end of the month. But I am sending you four postal orders amounting to 16/6 and I will send you more when the post office opens in the morning as I got this money too late to get it tonight. I hope this will get you a few things till the other arrives. All I can manage to scrape up this week is three pounds* so I hope that will help you along till I get some more for you. I am going on very nicely now. I have three men & a boy working for me now so if I can hold out for a little while I think I will be all right. But it is a bit hard to find three mens wages every week when you have to lay out of your money for one two & three months but the time will come all right.
With love from your loving Brother Matthew Nelson
P.S. Let me know when the other money arrives.

I'm not sure what 16/6 would be in English money. I'll have to do some research on that. If anyone has an idea, please feel free to say so in the comments.
* £3 in 1909 would be about £71 today, or about $110.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I hope it got better for them....this could be a page out of a modern blog and the concerns over money...trippy.

    ReplyDelete