Friday, August 13, 2010

October 2nd, 1907

Well, Ethel loaned Matthew the money. This letter is to Jack, but it seems that it's also intended for Annie to hear. So even though Matthew asked her to keep the previous letter private, it was understood that Jack would know about it, too.
It's nice to see that Annie was starting her own business. Does anyone know what she did? Since Amy knew how to make lace and was able to train girls on how to sew, do you think it was something like that? Perhaps that was a Ludlam family trade?
Not how Matthew brings up that he's working on an invention. From what my dad told me, he remembered hearing that Matthew had a bunch of patents for inventions and ideas. It would be neat to find out just what he invented, and if any of them went into production.
Also note that Matthew writes in big run-on sentences in this one. I take that to mean he was really excited. My dad told me he'd only had a sixth-grade education, but I love the fact that he spells his words correctly.
(Edit - Thank you, Char, for telling me how to do the "£" sign with my keyboard!) 




Oct 2nd 1907
236 Litherland Rd
Bootle

Dear Jack
I don't know how to express my thanks to you in letting me have this money but it is a necessity at present but it won't take long to get on a proper footing and I thought you could have got Ethel to lend me it as I knew Annie wants to go into business as soon as she gets a chance.
I have now got the plans for about £200* worth of work for a new invention and expect to have a lot more for the same firm and unless we get that new Lathe we will have to refuse some of it or else take it in and let it out for some other firm to do and take the risk of them doing it right and I thought if I could have managed to get a Lathe of our own it would soon pay for itself. I was once thinking of going to a money lender but they charge so much on it that they would soon sum up an account bigger than the loan. The gentleman I am intending buying the Lathe and some other tools off is giving up business as he is getting too old to look after it and he says he will introduce us into his business if we can take the tools he has left and they are worth about three times the price he is asking for them, if you can manage to get Ethel to lend me some I will let her have some back as soon as we get a draw on this job.
Hoping to hear from you per return belive me your affectionate brother
Matthew Nelson
Love to Annie and the Kiddies

So it seems he's asking for even more money. The dude is good.
*£200 would have been $312 in US money. Today it would be closer to £4350, or $6800.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment