Sunday, August 15, 2010

October 20th, 1908

This isn't the happiest of letters, and I imagine it was rather annoying for Annie to read. This was written by Matthew about a year after the last one. It sounds like maybe Matthew hasn't paid anyone back yet, and the consequence is that Annie and Ethel are not get along anymore. In the letter, Matthew is trying to assure Annie that everything will be all right... later.
It looks like Annie and her family have moved. I'm guessing their new residence is on Craven Street, but I'm not certain (it looks like a "C" but it could be a "B"). I'll have to map it on Google to see what I can find. I just discovered google maps (especially the satellite and street views) for myself, and it can be pretty exciting.
Also, I'm wondering why Matthew is even writing to Annie, given where she now lives. As far as I can tell, Matthew and Amy are still in Liverpool, so I don't know why they corrosponded by letter. I'm glad they did so we have the history, but why didn't they just speak in person? Maybe Liverpool is a very large city and they lived at opposite ends? Or maybe Matthew, Annie and Ethel had been keeping this matter private from Amy all along and if Annie and Matthew spoke in person, Amy was bound to find out? Maybe this was just how the Nelsons and Ludlams talked about difficult situations?


20/10/08
24 Craven St
Liverpool


Dear Annie

Just a few lines in answer to your letter. I was very sorry to hear of the trouble between Ethel & you. I have written to her and told her I will pay heras soon as I can. I was going to send it last month only we were negotiating for a larger place as our business is getting too large for our old place and as we have taken over a much larger place we had to buy some more machinery but we will soon make up as we are very busy at present and expect to be still busyer.
It is a bit of an uphill job to gather together a business like ours and be out of our money for 2 & 3 months and us having to pay ready cash for all the material we use but we know that it will all come back to us in time as it still keeps on increasing so that is not a bad sign.
In fact I have not had a Sunday off since I was at Grange. If we had a bit more ready cash we could employ more men but as it is we have to do it ourselves for a bit.
Amy & the Kiddies are all well
hoping your lot are the same
I remain your loving
Brother M. Nelson
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment